I was a sorcerer in AD&D. Here I hope to be interesting--at least to someone.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Birthday

Well!

Today is my 42nd birthday, and I've already received my first present. 

I got a warning from a police officer.

I was on my way to work, and I slowed to avoid a car who had slipped on some ice, when I hit a patch of ice myself.  In order to miss the other car, I accellerated, and took the car around a corner.  At this point, a police car that was hidden in a nearby parking lot turned on its lights, and flagged me down.  The officer asked for my driver's license, but didn't look at it, instead deciding to lecture me on the importance of safe driving. 

I'm not really sure how long the lecture lasted; I wasn't really listening to the officer.  I was looking at the clock, and thinking about being late.  Again.  Anyway, at some point the officer noticed my inattentiveness, and bumped me, to get my attention back.  I apologized, and told him that I really needed to get to work, and that while my tardiness is (virtually) habitual, extended tardiness could lead to job loss, and I really needed the medical insurance, given my health.  The officer then looked at my license.  His eyes popped open for a moment, and he glanced in my direction, then back to my license.

At this point the officer said that he was going to give me a birthday present.  Expecting a ticket, I was pleasantly surprised when he only gave me a warning.  He then told me to have a nice birthday, and that ended the event.

I'm told that today will likely be more of a positive time, and not getting a traffic ticket could conceivably be considered a positive thing, but so far my birthday has been a real pain in the @&&.  I can only hope that the day gets better.  Maybe I could win the lottery, hmm... ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home