I was a sorcerer in AD&D. Here I hope to be interesting--at least to someone.

Monday, April 05, 2010

To Grill or Not to Grill…

Saturday, I wanted fish for dinner. My friend Tom isn’t a big fish eater (unless it’s breaded and deep fried), but he does like catfish in any form. I decided to try grilling catfish, and I bought two fillets.

I’d never done this before, although I had grilled other kinds of fish, so I was taking a chance on whether or not it would come out right. I used a special pan designed to cook small items on the grill, because fish often becomes flaky when cooked, and I didn’t want to loose it in the flames. I cooked it for ten minutes on each side, and when I checked it, it was white throughout, and very flaky; I determined it to be done.

Tom loved it. He ate every scrap of his fish, and he told me he’d have purchased another fillet if he’d known it would be this good. He does like my cooking.

I, unfortunately, didn’t find the fish as delicious. In fact, I stopped eating it about halfway through. I just didn’t care for the taste. As it happens, my decision to stop was a very good one. I can only shudder when I think about how much worse things would have been had I continued eating.

Late that night I was beset by a truly nasty form of food poisoning. I was sick throughout the night and early morning, and completely inaccessible through the course of Easter Sunday. This was very disappointing, because the family was getting together for a real feast that day, and I had to cancel.

I don’t really know if the food poisoning was caused by the fish, or by my poor example of cooking. I do know that any cooking of fish in the future will take place in my oven, as I no longer trust cooking it on the grill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home